Monday, November 28, 2011

Vitamin C overdose


garden citrus
I suppose it might be the same in all those exotic countries in which citrus grow easily, but I find it odd that Japanese people don't eat the fruits of their own trees. Instead, like in the photo, the fruits remain on the garden trees as decoration all winter long. A British person did once tell me that he walked the lanes and successfully gained access to his neighbours' trees in order to make marmalade. Japanese people do eat a lot of citrus at this time of year. There are many different varieties of delicious satsumary things available, and a family may have a big boxful to work on during the New Year holiday. I'm not sure if what my Japanese friend told me can really be true - that children sometimes turn orange from eating too many!? I also don't know why the Japanese do not grow grapefruit - they are available but imported from the USA. The grapefruity thing in the picture is probably a yuzu, which is generally smaller and sweeter and less juicy than grapefruit. The tree was growing in someone's garden in Kamakura, with the boughs overhanging the road. I could have picked it if I was James' height.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Dreamstime microstock

Royalty Free Images

About This Blog

A picture is worth a thousand words... right?

free counters



The Women's Conference

Promote Your Page Too

Blog Archive

Followers

coolphotoblogsMy profile

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP